Sunday, August 19, 2018

Body Positivity Is Difficult


Just the other night I was watching one of my current favourite programmes, I zombie. Basically, the main character Liv gets turned into a zombie loses her life as an engaged cardio-thoracic med student and works in the NYPD morgue. The morgue means that she eats the brains of murdered civilians and winds up helping the detective solve the cases due to the subsequent visions she has from the brain. Along with this Liv often develops some of the  major personality traits of those she eats, for example there has been a hopeless romantic brain, kleptomaniac, a soldier with PTSD and an agoraphobic.


 So long story short, this show is pretty awesome and yeah you should check it out if you haven’t Netflix is fab y’all.
Okay so get to the point, it got me thinking…. What predominant personality trait would Liv inherit from eating my brain? Morbid I know, but cool.

At first a few initial quirks came to mind, like my ridiculous my talent of being at least an hour late to everything or even my ability to create a mess around me in minutes.
Then I was quite saddened to realise that a strong possibility would be Liv developing my complicated Body Dysmorphic issues and subsequent food phobic behaviour. I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food.  As a child I was in no way overweight, but I was chubby, and I didn’t really have the self-control when it came to food I liked. It was always can I have two, or, are you going to finish that? Now normally I would say that this is perfectly okay, but having previously seen my sister hospitalised with Anorexia Nervosa and then recover with the family eating more to show her food isn’t scary, it left me with a few extra rolls and a bit of a bowling ball face. Fast-forward a few years and I’m your typical 13 Year old; moody and obsessed with how I look. Except my focus on my body shape, and what I ate, became borderline unhealthy. I began counting calories, throwing lunches away, only eating fruit and twistedly enjoying the feeling of knotted hunger in my stomach because it made me feel skinnier.  No matter how much weight I lost (I went down from around 10 stone to around 5) I wasn't happy.
 Basically through a combination of therapy and family intervention at the time I was able to avoid the same path as my sister. However, it still left me with residual resentment towards  my appearance and an unhealthy relationship with food: forgoing certain meals and calorie counting. I still find things difficult, despite my efforts to remain positive about myself, but I'm slowly starting to realise its normal. It's normal to have hang ups with your body and everyone is different. So I have to accept my body and stop comparing myself to others.



This wasn't meant to be a long and complicated blog post, but I feel that I stared something that I had to completely get out.

BEING BODY POSITIVE IS DIFFICULT. No matter who you are. No matter what your mental health history. Nobody is 100% happy with their body, 100% of the time. I repeat, no one is completely happy with themselves. Everybody has their own hang ups and worries about their appearance. No matter how worried about yours you are, other people will be worrying to much about themselves to really notice you.

Life is too short to spend it worrying about your appearance. Don't let your own self esteem stop you from enjoying every second this world has to offer.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig